Monday, February 23, 2009

Fire!!!

So I decided to make bread today, so I moved Cory's fry machine on a back burner on the stove so I could have more counter room. Then I thought "grandma Henrie's carrots sound good" so I got the carrots in the pan ready to boil and turned on the burner. I then went and sat by Constance and was waiting a few minutes for the water to boil, Then I hear the fire alarm go off. I look over at the stove and I see flames shooting up and reaching my cupboards. I run over and stupid me thought "water" and this made the flames jump to about four feet, I called mom and dad cause I didn't know what to do. They told me to spread baking soda on it, so of course I couldn't find any. and the oil from the machine kept feeding the fire. so while the fry daddy was still on fire I put it in an empty box, the whole time praying the box didn't start on fire I took it out side to let that fire burn down while keeping an eye on it. I then went back to the fire on the stove and watched it burn out since the flames were down to about 5-6 inches.. didn't know what else to do. I knew flour was flammables too. Well the fry daddy is dead now. and I have black from the smoke all over my cupboards wall behind the stove and counter. I think the toxins from the melted plastic made Constance sick.. cause when Cory got home the smell was over whelming to him so we went to Wendy's for dinner just to get out of the smokey smelling house. Constance was really quite the whole time at Wendy's and when we got home she was puking all over the place. After I cleaned that up, Constance told me " Mommy I just want to go to bed" poor thing, during the fire she kept yelling at me " do something Mommy there is a fire" as if I wasn't doing anything!..lol I'm just glad its all over, and we are all safe... though my eyes to hurt now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sooo glad you are all ok. Makes me glad I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen. I am glad you didn't get burnt. I hope Constance will feel better soon. If you need anything let me know.

Semi Granola Mom said...

Scary yo, glad though no one was hurt :)
~C

Eileen said...

One time I had just come home from classes at UVSC, now UVU, my nephews were over and my mom went to preheat the oven for the cookies she was making for them. I had them in my room playing with toys. All of a sudden my mom starts screaming FIRE! I run up to see flames from the oven to the ceiling... What to do? My mom asked. I told her to call the fire department. I grabbed the little boys and ran outside. My mom reached around the flames and turned the oven off before coming outside. By the time the fire fighters get inside the flames are about 4 inches high and inside the oven. The fire chief grabs a glass of water from the sink and puts it out. "its out!" he calls, (by the way he was my ex boyfriends father) Apparently my brother, not wanting us to eat all the marshmallow mateys, hid them inside the oven. They caught on fire as the oven preheated. I will never forget the eight burley firemen doubled over in laughter as we put two and two together and tried to explain what was going on. They did tell us that the toxins from the plastic as it burned would make us sick and we were not to go into our house for at least 10 hours, while it aired out. So, you are right, that is why Constance is sick. I am glad you are ok.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're alive! Fires are so scary. We keep an extinguisher in our kitchen and another in our bedroom. A fire is like my worst nightmare.

Crazy story, Eileen!